[Clipart] Open Clip Art Library Release 0.05

Bryce Harrington bryce at bryceharrington.com
Fri Aug 13 13:36:20 PDT 2004

On Fri, 13 Aug 2004, Jon Phillips wrote:
> Yeah, I dunno. I think we should consolidate to one roadmap and just
> make softer deadlines for ourselves because *we* are busy.
>
> I wonder if what you are proposing is best done in PERL. I guess at
> least it could be proof of concept and functional for our needs...

>From my experience writing docsys, performance was never really an
issue, and the functionality that will be needed is stuff that Perl does
well - document processing, network communication, daemon behavior,
cross-platform compatibility, and presenting a well-documented API.

Further, if it becomes apparent that portions did need to get recast in
C, Perl provides mechanisms for redoing portions in C (not as cleanly as
in Python, but I have no wish to write Python code).

> In terms of releases, I like our approach of getting things together at
> the end of the month for release. I think this upcoming release with our
> new logo selected we should push to a much larger audience and submit
> through the channels. We have yet to do this, and I think we should ramp
> up for this release with our info all tightened up. That will help push
> this project.

Yes, I think you're right.  Can you take the lead on making this happen?
Possibly the same approach can be used that you and I worked out for
Inkscape, to good effect.  Let me know if you need help, otherwise I'll
focus what time I can scrape together on getting a few more features
into the code.

> I'm finding that we communicate a lot more on this project through the
> mailing list rather than chat and that is ok...every project is
> different.

Yup.  I think partly the issue that we're pretty evenly spread across
timezones so the asynchonicity of email is having the advantage.  We
seem to be doing well enough this way, so far!  :-)