[Clipart] logo contest

Jonadab the Unsightly One jonadab at bright.net
Sun Aug 22 20:17:55 PDT 2004

Alan Horkan <horkana at maths.tcd.ie> writes:

> I dont think we really need a favicon,

I think having one based on a good logo that we also use on the site
could do little harm and potentially could be helpful.

> and i think it would be particularly bizarre if you did not at least
> use PNG.  given that we are trying to support open standards it
> would be nuts to use the Microsoft ICO format (it is also a pain in
> the ass to reliably produce compatible ICO files without using
> Microsoft Software, I have had terrible results using anything
> except Visual Studio to produce favicons).

IrfanView (a closed-source freeware image viewer/converter that runs
only on Win32) can produce .ico files with some degree of reliability.
It doesn't handle transparency well, but for a bookmark icon that
really isn't necessary anyway.  I keep a Windows system around for
other purposes (such as running Teknia language software, the
programming utility for my Avant keyboard, and other special things),
and I'm probably not the only one.  If we have a reason to produce an
.ico version of the image, we could do that.  Obviously we would have
a .png version also, in addition to the .svg.  If necessary we could
specify the .png version in the link tag and place the .ico at the
magic path where it will be found by MSIE.

Whether we *need* an .ico version is another matter; are then any
browsers (or any _versions_ of a certain popular browser) that support
only the .ico format for bookmark icons, or do they all support PNG too?