[Clipart] logo contest

Jon Phillips jon at rejon.org
Mon Aug 23 17:10:25 PDT 2004

A good solid logo will translate to an .ico. We should prolly worry
first about picking a solid logo and then create an .ico second. This is
not to downplay the importance of considering how a logo will look at a
very small resolution, as this is important as well.

Jon

On Sun, 2004-08-22 at 20:17, Jonadab the Unsightly One wrote:
> Alan Horkan <horkana at maths.tcd.ie> writes:
>
> > I dont think we really need a favicon,
>
> I think having one based on a good logo that we also use on the site
> could do little harm and potentially could be helpful.
>
> > and i think it would be particularly bizarre if you did not at least
> > use PNG.  given that we are trying to support open standards it
> > would be nuts to use the Microsoft ICO format (it is also a pain in
> > the ass to reliably produce compatible ICO files without using
> > Microsoft Software, I have had terrible results using anything
> > except Visual Studio to produce favicons).
>
> IrfanView (a closed-source freeware image viewer/converter that runs
> only on Win32) can produce .ico files with some degree of reliability.
> It doesn't handle transparency well, but for a bookmark icon that
> really isn't necessary anyway.  I keep a Windows system around for
> other purposes (such as running Teknia language software, the
> programming utility for my Avant keyboard, and other special things),
> and I'm probably not the only one.  If we have a reason to produce an
> .ico version of the image, we could do that.  Obviously we would have
> a .png version also, in addition to the .svg.  If necessary we could
> specify the .png version in the link tag and place the .ico at the
> magic path where it will be found by MSIE.
>
> Whether we *need* an .ico version is another matter; are then any
> browsers (or any _versions_ of a certain popular browser) that support
> only the .ico format for bookmark icons, or do they all support PNG too?

USA.PH.858.361.2811
jon at rejon.org
http://www.rejon.org

Inkscape (http://inkscape.org)