[Clipart] Notes on 0.06 release

Alan Horkan horkana at maths.tcd.ie
Fri Aug 27 09:12:57 PDT 2004

On Fri, 27 Aug 2004, Jon Phillips wrote:

> Date: Fri, 27 Aug 2004 09:01:10 -0700
> From: Jon Phillips <jon at rejon.org>
> To: Alan Horkan <horkana at maths.tcd.ie>
> Cc: Bryce Harrington <bryce at bryceharrington.com>,
>      clipart-list <clipart at freedesktop.org>
> Subject: Re: [Clipart] Notes on 0.06 release
>
> Let's keep a list of the apps which do not support our metadata
> implementation. We should try to push for its adoption in other apps.
> Also, do these apps deal with metadata differently?

With the SVG Gradients Jasc WebDraw 1 did not even support comments
anywhere but outsides <svg></svg>
And it totally rejected any RDF, even RDF inside a <!-- comment block -->.
I didn't do any specific testing with the SVG Patterns, I just assumed it
would simliarly fail to deal with the unknown markup.

As it is a proprietary application I think it is reasonable to support
stripping out the incompatible data but not worth doing anything more than
that.  (Ideally seperate packages would be available, it is unlikely that
most normal Windows users will want or be able to get Perl working and
parse the files themselves).

I know it is crappy and I know it sucks to have to cater to the lowest
common denominator but I think it is essential that OpenClipArt be about
more than just Inkscape (or Sodipodi) and do as much as possible to keep
the SVG as clean and homogenous as possible.  I intended to add
instructions to the FAQ asking users to make sure to always Save As plain
SVG but I dont think I ever got around to it as I wasnt sure how best to
put it and I needed to find out similar instructions for Adobe Photoshop
users and mabye OpenOffice.org Draw users too.

Later

Alan