[Clipart] Notes on 0.06 release

Jon Phillips jon at rejon.org
Fri Aug 27 11:48:16 PDT 2004

I think that we should continue with metadata in the files, but possibly
strip it out when someone downloads. I think we should push upstream as
well and try to get these close and open apps to support standard and
compliant web standards.

If you can help me compile a list, I will help submit. I already kicked
this off here:

http://www.openclipart.org/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?OcalCompliantApplications

Please help...you are good at this type of thing...

Jon

On Fri, 2004-08-27 at 09:12, Alan Horkan wrote:
> On Fri, 27 Aug 2004, Jon Phillips wrote:
>
> > Date: Fri, 27 Aug 2004 09:01:10 -0700
> > From: Jon Phillips <jon at rejon.org>
> > To: Alan Horkan <horkana at maths.tcd.ie>
> > Cc: Bryce Harrington <bryce at bryceharrington.com>,
> >      clipart-list <clipart at freedesktop.org>
> > Subject: Re: [Clipart] Notes on 0.06 release
> >
> > Let's keep a list of the apps which do not support our metadata
> > implementation. We should try to push for its adoption in other apps.
> > Also, do these apps deal with metadata differently?
>
> With the SVG Gradients Jasc WebDraw 1 did not even support comments
> anywhere but outsides <svg></svg>
> And it totally rejected any RDF, even RDF inside a <!-- comment block -->.
> I didn't do any specific testing with the SVG Patterns, I just assumed it
> would simliarly fail to deal with the unknown markup.
>
> As it is a proprietary application I think it is reasonable to support
> stripping out the incompatible data but not worth doing anything more than
> that.  (Ideally seperate packages would be available, it is unlikely that
> most normal Windows users will want or be able to get Perl working and
> parse the files themselves).
>
> I know it is crappy and I know it sucks to have to cater to the lowest
> common denominator but I think it is essential that OpenClipArt be about
> more than just Inkscape (or Sodipodi) and do as much as possible to keep
> the SVG as clean and homogenous as possible.  I intended to add
> instructions to the FAQ asking users to make sure to always Save As plain
> SVG but I dont think I ever got around to it as I wasnt sure how best to
> put it and I needed to find out similar instructions for Adobe Photoshop
> users and mabye OpenOffice.org Draw users too.
>
> Later
>
> Alan

KOREA.PH.010.3140.7483
USA.PH.858.361.2811