[Clipart] OpenClipart 0.04 browsable

Alan Horkan horkana at maths.tcd.ie
Thu Jul 1 07:46:40 PDT 2004

On Wed, 30 Jun 2004, Bryce Harrington wrote:

> Date: Wed, 30 Jun 2004 09:47:16 -0700 (PDT)
> From: Bryce Harrington <bryce at bryceharrington.com>
> To: "[iso-8859-1] \"Áki G. Karlsson\"" <aki at akademia.is>
> Cc: clipart at freedesktop.org
> Subject: Re: [Clipart] OpenClipart 0.04 browsable
>
> I seem to recall there were several items that could be described as
> 'tools' - the knife, a pair of pliers, scissors.  For the anchor, I
> imagine we'll have some sort of nautical category eventually, so it'd
> fit in well there.

I was going to suggest Tools or Weapons, perhaps weapons are a
subcategory?

Nautical is an adjective so the category might be 'Martime'?

> But yeah, we can expect to have oddball stuff in the unsorted category
> that we're not sure where it should go yet.  It would probably be wise

I'm concerned that having a catergory called Things/Other/Miscellaneous
will cause things to be left unsorted.

I think someone previously mentioned that although the categories are
useful being able to search against keywords will be more useful as things
can be differnt things at once.

Yesterday I read a writeup of a metadata talk given to GUADEC by Edd
Dumbill.  http://usefulinc.com/articles/2004/desktop-metadata
The bit that strikes me was his comment on how RDF can describe a
generic top level category (he used the example 'Application') and how
easily others can create subcategories of their own in an adhoc manner and
still fit in.  It is good to see that we seem to be getting 10-20 top
level categories sorted out so quickly.

> to hold off on establishing a new category until there are at least a
> few items to go in it.  Single-image categories could get to be too
> much.

If we can make progress on keywords (and searching) hopefully we wont need
to worry about the heirarch being too flat or too deep.

> If we do it right, creating categories will be simple enough that there
> would be no need to create stub 'placeholder' categories; we should only
> make them when there's some stuff to be put in them.  ;-)

I love it when a plan comes together ;)

- Alan