[Clipart] borders for printing flyers, announcements

Alan Horkan horkana at maths.tcd.ie
Fri Jul 2 13:54:23 PDT 2004

On Fri, 2 Jul 2004, Jeremy C. Reed wrote:

> Date: Fri, 2 Jul 2004 12:40:33 -0700 (PDT)
> From: Jeremy C. Reed <reed at reedmedia.net>
> To: clipart at freedesktop.org
> Subject: [Clipart] borders for printing flyers, announcements
>
> My wife used to use some software under Windows that provided a big
> collection of borders for printing announcements, cards, flyers. etc.
>
> For example, the border would be formatted for a letter-size page. They
> would be approximately 1/4-inch to 1-inch in size and be printed around
> the paper.

> Do we have anything like this?

Not that I am aware of.

There are some tricks you can do with gradients that will produce a frame
around an image (but it is not functionality that Inkscape has yet, if i
recall correctly you can see this by using the wooden frame gradient in
the Gimp and setting it as a quadratic gradient.  producing your image
frame in the Gimp will likely mean much bigger files though).

> The borders could be simple lines, many patterns, floral patterns, stars,
> animals, etc.

I have some geometric patterns that could be converted into borders but
nothing specific.

If you can provide screenshots and examples of the kinds of borders you
would like to have it might help the less creative among us (namely me ;)
to create similar borders that might be useful.

Even though borders would be scalable it might help if you told us what
specific page size you are targeting (although as a european I favour the
A4 size page, but so long as the frame is carefully made it should scale
alright).

> (I'll start encouraging my wife to use scribus for printing her
> announcements with borders. Hopefully, scribus will load the SVG fine.
> Inkscape is not useful for us, because we need to be able to enter text
> that can easily flow between text objects. And the text frames need to be
> able to be resized without any of the text resized -- it should just
> wrap. Any suggestions other than scribus?)

I haven't used it and cannot comment on its utility but Passepartout is
another Destkop Publishing application that might be worth checking out.
http://www.stacken.kth.se/project/pptout/

I have heard of people using OpenOffice.org for desktop publishing but I
cannot believe it would be as good as Scribus.

Hope that helps

- Alan