[Clipart] organize repository and access rights

Jonadab the Unsightly One jonadab at bright.net
Sat Jul 10 18:29:44 PDT 2004

Alberto Simões <hashashin at gmail.com> writes:

> I think it is more important to add metadata to the svg files than
> to divide the repository in different directories,

Yes, but if the files are sorted into directories it shouldn't be hard
to run a script over them and add the same keywords to each file in a
given directory, once the keyword stuff in SVG::Metadata is all hooked
up.  I got the impression from something Bryce said that currently it
doesn't do everything the POD suggests it does, though I could have
misunderstood or could just be behind.

The only concern I have is about files with no author metadata.
Someone said earlier that we don't want to release any of those in
that condition, but with no author metadata I don't see how we can
track down the authors to get the metadata (unless we're willing to
mark them "unknown").  Once we get uploads switched over to using
upload_svg.cgi this shouldn't be an issue for future submissions after
that, but do we have a plan for the existing stuff with no author
metadata, other than to not release it?

The other metadata are less of a concern IMO; we can make up titles,
no problem.  Author is the critical thing, if we need to be able to
trace that.

As for the keywords, like I said, we can batch-add keywords to groups
of files later if they're sorted, and sooner or later we'll work up a
way for people browsing the submissions to add keywords to them on the
web interface, so that everyone can assist with the unsorted ones.