[Clipart] PNG images?

Jonadab the Unsightly One jonadab at bright.net
Sat Jul 10 18:40:48 PDT 2004

Bryce Harrington <bryce at bryceharrington.com> writes:

> Fwiw, there's a bunch of different tools that use librsvg as their svg
> backend, so in theory you may be able to find something useful that
> way.  There was also talk of a svg2png tool in development, but I've
> lost track of the status of that.

I looked all over the CPAN for SVG rendering libraries, and I found
little.  There is a thingy that uses a Tk class of some kind and
claims to be able to export SVG images to PNG, but it has large
caveats attached to it about things it does not support.  There ought
to be a pure Perl library for rendering SVG into a bitmapped image.
This is something that someone will certainly step forward and create
eventually, I'm sure.  SVG support has been really slow in coming.
The spec is quite old now, and editors are still pretty much at alpha
stage, and browsers still don't have native support, and OOo can't
import them...  AFAIK there isn't even a major mode for SVG in Emacs.
This will all change eventually.  It's just taking a bit of time.  The
editors (mainly sodipodi and inkscape) are starting to attract some
significant attention now, which will help.  Also I agree that if this
project provides a compelling library of available clipart, it should
encourage better support from OOo and Gecko, which should help get the
ball rolling a bit faster.