[Clipart] OT: greeting card, brochure creating software?

Alan Horkan horkana at maths.tcd.ie
Tue Jul 20 09:01:01 PDT 2004

On Mon, 19 Jul 2004, Jeremy C. Reed wrote:

> Date: Mon, 19 Jul 2004 18:04:45 -0700 (PDT)
> From: Jeremy C. Reed <reed at reedmedia.net>
> To: clipart at freedesktop.org
> Subject: [Clipart] OT: greeting card, brochure creating software?
>
> Do you have any suggestions for easy-to-use software for creating greeting
> cards and simple brochures and flyers?

Scribus springs to mind.
It is a powerful Destkop Publishing Software application.
http://www.scribus.net/

Inkscape and Scribus have been working together to make sure that both
projects can share the same SVG files and many/most of the SVG files in
OpenClipart.org were produced using Inkscape.

> My wife often used some proprietary software that has hundreds or
> thousands of templates to choose from and then could easily drag in

But I dont think it has a huge selection of templates yet.
If you ask them they might be better able to help you out.

Also if you ask on the Inkscape user list there may be others who have put
together greating cards that might be willing to share their work as a
template.

As more and more artists get involved with open source this might happen
but for the past few years I have been desperately dissapointed that Open
Source has not blown prorietare software out of the water by involving
users and providing a vast selection of templates.  (I would put the low
appreciation of non-code contributions as a factor in this).

> clipart and add text and rotate and move text, and simply print to
> quickly create greeting cards and flyers.

Worst comes to the worst you could try providing use with examples
(screenshots, sample files) of the kind of templates you are looking for
and perhaps we could encourage our contributors to make templates to be
added to OpenClipart.org.

Good luck, please do let us know if you find anything.

Sincerely

Alan Horkan.
http://advogato.org/person/AlanHorkan/