[Clipart] OT: greeting card, brochure creating software?

Jeremy C. Reed reed at reedmedia.net
Tue Jul 20 09:21:37 PDT 2004

On Tue, 20 Jul 2004, Alan Horkan wrote:

> > Do you have any suggestions for easy-to-use software for creating greeting
> > cards and simple brochures and flyers?
>
> Scribus springs to mind.
> It is a powerful Destkop Publishing Software application.
> http://www.scribus.net/

I have used scribus a lot over the past couple years. (I also maintain
packages for it for pkgsrc.)

It is very slow.

For a long time, it had bugs when printing in landscape mode.

It doesn't include any templates for quickly doing greeting cards.

My wife could make a quick greeting card in a few minutes or a flier in 30
minutes or less using her old software. While I could do the same in
scribus and take a couple hours. (Although I have journalism school
education in using layout software and have professional experience using
layout software.)

> Inkscape and Scribus have been working together to make sure that both
> projects can share the same SVG files and many/most of the SVG files in
> OpenClipart.org were produced using Inkscape.
>
> > My wife often used some proprietary software that has hundreds or
> > thousands of templates to choose from and then could easily drag in
>
> But I dont think it has a huge selection of templates yet.
> If you ask them they might be better able to help you out.
>
> Also if you ask on the Inkscape user list there may be others who have put
> together greating cards that might be willing to share their work as a
> template.

I might do that.

> As more and more artists get involved with open source this might happen
> but for the past few years I have been desperately dissapointed that Open
> Source has not blown prorietare software out of the water by involving
> users and providing a vast selection of templates.  (I would put the low
> appreciation of non-code contributions as a factor in this).
>
> > clipart and add text and rotate and move text, and simply print to
> > quickly create greeting cards and flyers.
>
> Worst comes to the worst you could try providing use with examples
> (screenshots, sample files) of the kind of templates you are looking for
> and perhaps we could encourage our contributors to make templates to be
> added to OpenClipart.org.
>
> Good luck, please do let us know if you find anything.

Thanks for feedback.

That would be great if we could have a good collection of templates, maybe
maintained and hosted by OpenClipart.org.

 Jeremy C. Reed

 	  	 	 BSD News, BSD tutorials, BSD links
	  	 	 http://www.bsdnewsletter.com/