[Clipart] Tasks for 'openclipart' package

"Áki G. Karlsson" aki at akademia.is
Wed Jun 9 16:07:02 PDT 2004

I don't know of any site that accepts unreviewed content directly. After
all these years with the Internet people still seem to be extremely wary
of letting the users go on unchecked. There usually is some sort of
gatekeeper somewhere that you send an email to AFAIK.

An idea for openclipart.org might be to accept anything to be put in an
offline pool and automatically entering the filename into a database
marking it "pending" or somesuch. Then anyone of the registered
"developers" could change that status having viewed the content. There
are enough developers, I assume, that this could work fast. This would
require an interface to the database accessible only to the developers
and then just a display unit for displaying accepted files on the
website. A series of checkpoints could be established for accepting
content, the most important of which would be a pd declaration submitted
in a text file with the image or entered into the svg metadata. An email
might also be required so that the reviewer could contact the author for
clarification. This sort of process (a sort of "deferred live
broadcast") is common in open-source projects AFAIK. Authors wanting to
maintain their own collections might be trusted to do so with cvs in a
manner similar to the experimental branch of inkscape (correct me if I'm
wrong here). Statistics could be provided for pending/accepted/rejected
works in the same way as for patches.

Utopia again... I'll check and see if I can find some canned and ready
php code somewhere (probably under "image collections" "photoalbums" or
something similar).

btw. is there a feature request in Inkscape for a metadata dialog? It
could be a tab under document options providing the few essential
fields... That would be extremely cool. First time I tried copying the
md from the wiki into my image it broke, as I forgot to include the
namespace declaration for rdf and thought for a few frustrating hours
that the editors and viewers simply weren't accepting metadata embedded
in svg :)

Best regards

Áki