[Clipart] Tasks for 'openclipart' package

Bryce Harrington bryce at bryceharrington.com
Mon Jun 14 17:09:40 PDT 2004

On Mon, 14 Jun 2004, [ISO-8859-1] "Áki G. Karlsson" wrote:
> I've looked at it and it is not nearly sufficient for the present needs.
> Mayhaps could be build upon, but then, it might pay off to look for
> better tools somewhere else. The way I see it OpenClipart needs:
>
> * an upload gadget with some form of validation that warns contributors
> of invalid sgml, missing metadata etc.
> * a review mechanism (moderator interface) with login and user management
> * a comments mechanism
> * a browseable index with thumbnails

For the first item, SVG::Metadata module can provide the validation part
of the functionality.  I figured we'd want something like that for the
website so designed the module so it could be reused in that fashion.
An extra benefit of using SVG::Metadata for the backend is that the
contributor will know exactly whether or not the image will pass the
batch validator.  It also returns very specific error messages for why
it did not pass, which would be of use to the uploader.

Anyway, I think this takes care of the hard part of doing the upload
gadget, so if someone wants to tackle that first bullet it should be as
simple as hooking up SVG::Metadata and CGI.pm and make an
upload_clipart.cgi handler or whatever.

Another part that'd be needed is something to "check in" the file to a
repository.  This'd need to understand some kind of version control and
metadata-based file comparison, I suppose.  I might work on this bit at
some point, so if the upload tool just dumped files into some directory
structure based on date or whatever, that'd probably be good enough for
now.

> OutSide Photos has an upload gadget with configurable constraints on
> image type, size etc., login and a very simple administrative interface.
> It should create thumbnails from raster images using gd, but I couldn't
> get this to work properly (I didn't try much - just took it out of the
> box more or less, and it's alpha). Attractive minimalistic interface,
> though.

While user accounts would be nice, they probably wouldn't be needed for
the upload tool, since the author name is going to be (or at least,
should be) in the uploaded file metadata already.  But for any
administrative tools or other stuff, yeah a login functionality would be
necessary.

I don't think GD will produce adequate thumbnails for us.  It might be
possible to put a copy of inkscape or librsvg on the server, though.