[Clipart] svg_annotate (and announcing SVG::Metadata 0.05)

Bryce Harrington bryce at bryceharrington.com
Wed Jun 16 23:39:01 PDT 2004

On Thu, 17 Jun 2004, Nicu Buculei wrote:
> Bryce Harrington wrote:
> > This will add metadata to any files that don't already have it,
> > including setting the license to Public Domain and the title to
> > "My Name - <filename>".  (You can override this if you want; see the
> > manual page for svg_annotate on CPAN).
> >
> > Let me know if you run into issues.
>
> it looks OK to me, expect very soon my images with metadata added.
>
> you may want to consider in the future the case of files already having
> metadata - for example the author may want to change the license or to
> correct a spelling mistake made in the previous annotation.

Yes, this is a logical next step for the toolset, as it combines the
parsing capability of svg_validate with the RDF writing of svg_annotate.

Note though that we've also got work underway with Inkscape to add
metadata editing with a GUI there, so that provides a solution.  Where
SVG::Metadata may still be preferred is when needing to do batch edits,
so that's the direction I'd focus on.

> a possible method is to request an additional command line parameter to
> override
> also an interesting case is to remove metadata from files - for example
> in order to minimize the file size (this may matter for a huge collection)

*Nod*  Good idea.  This fits in well with the other capabilities and
should be fairly straightforward to add.  What would be a good name for
it?  svg_rm_rdf ?  svg_deannotate ?   svg_del_metadata ?