[Clipart] Tasks for 'openclipart' package

"Áki G. Karlsson" aki at akademia.is
Fri Jun 25 19:23:01 PDT 2004

Hi

>>mechanism previously suggested. I think it would be a real incentive for
>>people to submit their work. Maybe we should go the extra mile of having
>>a "display" page open when the thumbnails are clicked where the comments
>>would show below the image, similar to art.gnome.org for example. It
>>could also take care of issues concerning the display of svg in some
>>browsers using an <embed> tag or some such thing (and even display the
>>svg horizontally centered and offset from top - a real novelty!).
>>

>Good idea, I've added it to the roadmap - want to mock something up?

I'll mock something up for a 'display' page and send you the URL.

>>Some things concerning the website:
>>- While I generally like spartan design, I feel that "the clipart site
>>to end all clipart sites" could be a tad more lively. Even a simple
>>logo, or a logo proposition, in the top left would go a long way.
>>

>Yeah, we had tried to make a logo earlier but had a hard time getting
>something good so decided to wait until good artists with better ideas
>showed up.

I liked the boxes and the OCAL letters. It might be a good idea to
repeat the call for logos...

>>- The colors are quite drab, and the umbilical cord with the Inkscape
>>site needs to be severed. How do you think a white/off-white combination
>>would look?
>>

>You're probably right; we just needed to get something up quick, since
>there was so much stuff needing to get set up.  I think if someone was
>willing to put in the time to experiment with some redesign ideas, we
>definitely could improve the site a good bit.  You're right that it has
>the inkscape look a bit too strongly, and would be nice to gain a more
>distinctive look.
>
>The one thing we really like about the current site is that it's all
>self-contained (no dependencies to phpNuke or the like), and is quite
>easy to edit and maintain (thanks to CSS).  So with a new site design we
>would want to retain those characteristics

I like those characteristics as well. I'll use the mockup to propose
some changes...

>>- This clipart site has no images! Which is original, but contrary to
>>every expectation. The browseable index will fix that though.
>>

>Yeah, tell me about it; it's strange having such an imageless site.
>Really, it's just a matter of needing folks to put some time into it -
>so far it's just been me and rejon (mainly rejon).  So we definitely
>have room to get more people involved in jazzing up the site.

If you care to add me, I'd be more than willing to put in some work. I'm
not the best designer in the world, but I make webpages for a living, so
that's something.

Some more thoughts:
It is not entirely correct that the site has no images.... There are the
screenshots, which is something one would expect from an
application-specific site. Come to think of it though, there are at
least two useful roles for screenshots on this site: Something like the
"Inkscape in use" page, demonstrating "sessions", showing the apps that
people are using and giving indication of how they're using them. This
helps developing artists become more application savvy and is hence
useful. The other use is to show screenshots of productivity
applications using the clipart. An example I can think of is OpenOffice
with the clipart collection set up by fenix's installer, scribus
importing OCAL clipart etc. This is publicity, and also useful for users
IMHO.

Best regards

Áki