[Clipart] OpenClipart 0.04 browsable

Bryce Harrington bryce at bryceharrington.com
Wed Jun 30 09:50:10 PDT 2004

On Wed, 30 Jun 2004, [iso-8859-1] "Áki G. Karlsson" wrote:
> Here are some categorization examples from other clipart sites. These are
> worse than font sites with regard to ads, popups, circular references and
> hidden alliances, but I guess we all must live somehow...
>
> In my opinion these are all bad. The first one doesn't make sense with
> categories Animals and then Dinosaurs... The second one is way too ad-hoc
> (content based), and makes no sense at all. The third one is simply to
> big... while the subcategories are a fine idea, the number of top level
> categories is overwhelming... IMHO
>
> Just to revisit the topic...
>
> Still, I think we should just go ahead with ad-hoc categories for now...

Cool, this is a good list - post it to Wiki so we don't lose it.  :-)

By the way, remember that we're constructing this based on keywords
moreso than fixed categories.  So a given image can have both 'Dinosaur'
and 'Animal' keywords.  We would 'parent' the Dinosaur category to
Animal to indicate the relationship.  Then we'd just need to figure out
how to make the browser tool aware of parentage...

Bryce