[Clipart] Mirroring http://openclipart.org

Bryce Harrington bryce at bryceharrington.com
Wed Nov 3 18:20:59 PST 2004

On Thu, 4 Nov 2004, Jon Phillips wrote:
> How could we deal with mirroring our entire site? Is there a good way to
> check server load and if over an limit, then shift to a mirror?

There are ways of shifting to mirrors but perhaps the simplest way would
be to put the high-bandwidth items (like the tarballs) onto mirrors, and
then in the download.php script to list those mirrors.

If you want to mirror the entire website, you can of course just rsync
the whole site, but you'll want to check for any hardcoded URL's to
'openclipart.org' and generalize them so if they're being accessed from,
say, a URL like 'openclipart.org.uk', they'll work correctly.

Another approach would be to ensure EVERYTHING in the website is checked
into CVS, so then creation of a mirrored website would simply require
doing a cvs checkout and periodically do cvs update.

A third approach that is often used for corporate sites is to use a
dynamic mirroring system such as squid.  I don't have experience setting
that up, and probably it would be complete overkill, but is worth
mentioning.  If anyone has experience setting this sort of thing up,
perhaps they could elaborate on how it works.

> I've written a download script which we might be able to use to pass
> thru a file from our site or a mirror depending on traffic.
>
> How would this work? Any thoughts?

Btw, mrdocs on the openclipart IRC channel said scribus may also be
willing to provide a mirror.