[Clipart] And the Winner is... + Need Independent Verification

Jonadab the Unsightly One jonadab at bright.net
Mon Sep 6 16:38:06 PDT 2004

Bryce Harrington <bryce at bryceharrington.com> writes:

> I wonder if we could pull in aspects of the logo into the site look and
> feel a little bit, to help tie it in, but without having to fully
> redesign?

You mean like, for example, using colors from the logo in the CSS?

For reference:

The red in the frontmost slide is #BF0000;
The orange in the next one is #FF7F00;
The yellow in the back one is #F3E544;
The shadow is partly-transparent black, #00000033,
   which against a white background comes to #333333;
All three slides have a white border outlined in black,
   which suggests white padding and black borders on
   block-level elements, or something like that.  Bonus
   points if we can put #333333 drop shadows on them.

If we use the slide colors for some page elements, white text would
look good against the red and orange; black text would look good
against the yellow and maybe the orange.

If we want to match the nice clean look of this logo with font faces,
I suggest something along the lines of
  font-family: "Bitstream Vera Sans", "Verdana", "Helvetica", sans-serif;

I made an attempt at producing a stylesheet based on this, but it...
needs work.  It's available on the site now as an _alternate_
stylesheet; in Mozilla (Seamonkey/Navigator) you can find it under
View->Use Style.  But it's bad.  Those background colors are too
strong for areas that large, for one thing (maybe they'd be better as
border colors and stuff?), and in general it's crude and unpolished,
because when I saw how ugly all that orange is I quit messing with it.
Someone else, preferably someone with artistic ability, please check
out and edit clipart_web/css/andreas.css and fix it, or rewrite it
from scratch, or something.  As it stands now, it's not usable really.