Aaagh! Re: [Clipart] new site design in progress

Jonadab the Unsightly One jonadab at bright.net
Tue Sep 14 08:30:36 PDT 2004

Jon Phillips <jon at rejon.org> writes:

>> After you said this, I poked around and discovered that Submit
>> Screenshot and Review Incoming don't work.  Review Incoming should
>> probably be commented out until we get something for adding keywords
>> working, or the DMS in place, or something, at which point we can put
>> it back and make it useful.
>
> Agree...can you are someone comment these out...

Yeah, let me find it...  looks like someone already did.  However, I
changed the (still commented-out) link for Submit Screenshot so that
when we get Image::Magick installed and working all we have to do is
uncomment it.

>> Submit Screenshot is something I might be able to make work, if I get
>> a little time this week.  Some questions, though...
>>
>>  * Do we want to put submitted screenshots into use immediately, or
>>    have someone review them and move them over by hand?
>
> I think that we should allow, but maybe can send an email or something
> to the users in the group account on freedesktop.org when something is
> submitted to check what has been put up. I don't see a reason to put
> these into a holding tank, as we don't really do on the incoming except
> for a diff. location. The incoming clipart is still visible.

It would be easy enough to make it send mail using Mail::Sendmail.
What address should it send the mail to?

The submit screenshots script is now (apart from that sending mail
thing) tested here on my system and working, but it doesn't work on
the site yet because Image::Magick is not installed.

It's in CVS as clipart_web/cgi-bin/upload_screenshot.cgi
That puts it at http://openclipart.org/cgi-bin/upload_screenshot.cgi
and it's ready to go once Image::Magick is working.

Mail::Sendmail is pure Perl and requires nothing but Perl5 and an
internet connection, so I can install that easily and it will Just
Work (TM).  (I love modules that are pure Perl.  I wish all modules
were pure Perl.  I wish all the world's software were pure Perl.)

Image::Magick is another matter entirely; it uses package-specific
libraries and things and is probably best installed using the
distribution's standard packaging tools (urpmi or apt or whatever),
which means we need to involve an administrator again.