[Clipart] metadata: aren't the keywords actually categories (and can keywords be added)?

Mike Traum mtraum at yahoo.com
Fri Apr 15 14:36:45 PDT 2005

Acutally, MS suprised me. Their http://office.microsoft.com/clipart
site generates .mpf files, which are xml with the clip files base64
encoded in them, including all of the meta data as well. For once,
their doing something right. I would consider their site as a model
for what you would want to achieve - they have a shopping cart-like
functionality, the ability to choose thumbnail size, etc. Of course,
all of their clips come with an unfriendly EULA attached.

In case your intereset in .mpf, I've written a couple tools:
1. mpftools ( http://mpftools.sourceforge.net/ )
perl script to extract the clip files
2. oogalleryimport ( http://oogalleryimport.sourceforge.net/ )
java app to import an mpf into OpenOffice's Gallery

Anyway, when you describe the localized packages for end users, I
assume you mean something similar to what is being done now, with
clips extracted into a directory structure? If so, this is my concern
about having an image with mutiple categories (which, many will
surely have). Do you have multiple copies of the file in the tarball?
Seems redundant. You could use symbolic links, but then you'd have to
distrubute separate packages for different OS's (besides the fact
that I doubt MS shortcuts play nice with other tools, for example
image organizing applications such as ThumbsPlus). This is why I like
the idea of one big xml, assumming there was a clip organizer
application to go along with it.

The whole reason I've been lurking here is because I'm interested in
writing a os independent (java-based) GPL'd clip organizer similar to
what MS has with their Office suite. Then, you can import these
packages (as well as Microsoft's, and whoever else is dirtributing
clip packages w/ metadata) and still have them searchable on the
client side. You'd no longer need to distribute thumbnails, as the
clip organizer would be able to do this as well. And, you'd be able
to see the properties of the file (copyright, etc) from a decent
interface. This effort shouldn't really be that hard, but I want to
make sure that openclipart is moving towards a package structure that
would be ameniable to such an effort. Otherwise, I'd only be allowing
import of MS's files, which many users can't legally use (under their
EULA).

mike