[Clipart] PR for 0.16

Jonadab the Unsightly One jonadab at bright.net
Mon Aug 1 08:42:01 PDT 2005

Patricia FIDI <fidipat at levillage-afrique.com> writes:

> In fact for people like me who are not english native tong, it's
> more heavy to read in an other language.

Yes, it would be.

> Certainly, english or american is more international than spanish
> and french but imagine you have to surf on an another foreign site
> even if you know to speak spanish or french.  It won't be easy as
> for me.

How about we put the site in Latin or perhaps Sanskrit, and then we
can all be in the same situation ;-)

> And french guys are really, really not good on english...  Have you
> ever see on TV a french speaking well english ? ;-D If you
> understand him = bravo ! (joking !)

I can understand French people relatively well when they speak
English.  (I have more trouble when they speak French...)  It's
Koreans attempting to speak English that I have trouble understanding.
They have such a horrible time ennunciating consonants, presumably
because the Korean language does not have as many consonants and
instead carries more of the meaning in vowels and tones.  (English for
the most part does not carry meaning in tones, at least not at the
word level, and vwls r mch lss mprtnt thn cnsnts, albeit not to the
same horrifying extent as in Semetic languages.)

Really, the correct way to internationalise the website would be to
translate it, but internationalizing the collection seems even more
important to me, since that would allow it to be distributed to people
who have no knowledge of English at all and, even, no regular internet
access (e.g., a French-localized version of the collection could be
burned onto CDs and carried around Africa by social workers,
missionaries, and anyone else who has a mind to do such things, and
installed on any and every computer they come in contact with, perhaps
together with French-localized versions of OpenOffice and Inkscape and
other things).

I cannot do French localization, though, on account of the fact that I
do not know nearly enough French.  It would be best done by someone
who knows French natively.

I could maybe localize into Common Greek (koine), but I don't really
see how it would be practical to spend time on that.  If I were a
bored college student I might do it as an exercise in "Sola lingua
bona lingua mortua est", but as it stands I have a job and other
things to do with most of my time and other, more important
openclipart-related work I can do if I have some spare time.

--
Open Clip Art Library:  Drawing Together
http://www.openclipart.org/