[Clipart] Clip Art Navigator 0.31

Greg Steffensen greg.steffensen at gmail.com
Mon Aug 22 18:44:34 PDT 2005

The index file currently uses python's internal serialization format
(which python calls "pickling").  I did that mainly for performance;
its faster to load the relevent datastructures from that frozen format
than to recreate them by parsing xml.  I suspect that the speed
difference here is irrelevent though; both are plenty fast in
practice; I'll do some benchmarks tomorrow.  I saw index.xml, but my
original reason for not using it was that I wanted users to have the
flexibility to add additional content to their local clip art store.
In retrospect, the best way to do that is to allow them to create
their own indexes, but in ocal's xml format.  Is there a tool to do
this already in the ocal tools package?  Letting the packagers do the
indexing also has the advantage of not using python's xml parser
(expat), which was unable to parse around 30 of the 0.16 images.

Greg