[Clipart] Re: Clip Art Browser

Jon Phillips jon at rejon.org
Thu Aug 25 10:42:30 PDT 2005

On Thu, 2005-08-25 at 12:49 -0400, Greg Steffensen wrote:

>         I've mentioned it to Greg, and I still believe, that perhaps
>         his
>         application would work better separately from Inkscape instead
>         of being
>         an extension.  Such that you could run them side by side, and
>         then drag
>         and drop files into Inkscape.  This would also allow it to be
>         used with
>         other applications in a similar way.  I think that is probably
>         stronger paradigm for using it.
>
>         I think also, from the marketing perspective, making it "OCAL
>         Browser"
>         is better than "The Inkscape Extension for OCAL".  This way it
>         can be
>         made to work with applications like Illustrator and promote
>         OCAL.
>
> This sounds like a good idea, and requires minimal changes to the
> code.  But I'm theoretically working on this for Inkscape, as far as
> Google is concerned.  Would a stronger separation from Inkscape be
> tolerable?

There is also the other option of just starting a separate project with
this browser. I think many apps. could benefit from it and believe that
it would be integrated into the Gnome desktop if development on it
scaled up.

OCAL ppl what say you? Inkscape ppl speak please...

San Francisco, CA
USA PH 510.499.0894
jon at rejon.org
http://www.rejon.org