[Clipart] world maps

Jonadab the Unsightly One jonadab at bright.net
Fri Jan 28 07:47:23 PST 2005

"Jose Hevia" <100026838 at alumnos.uc3m.es> writes:

>    I thought about making rivers and mountains,

Rivers and mountains would make them a different kind of map; if those
are added (especially mountains), we'd probably want to redo the
coloring and stuff to make them look like traditional physical maps.
As they stand now, they're clearly political maps, which is fine.

The lakes won't hurt anything, though, if someone has time to do them.

> but now there are more priority stuff under OCAL to do ,in my
> opinion, improving the way people access the data.It counts nothing
> what you do if people have not a simple and fast way of accessing
> the archives.(I couldn't find my own artwork).

That's another thing we should do -- create a tool that indexes the
metadata, and a corresponding search-script for the web interface that
uses the index to find things.  Do we have a general TODO list
someplace?  (I know about the roadmap, but I don't know what timeframe
to put on most of this stuff.)

>   As you said this is unsorted, but I included it under America,Europe
> keywords ,and so on.

Probably I should move them under geography.  Come to think of it, I
just did (in my local copy, which will probably become 0.10).  Also I
moved unsorted/map_symbols to signs_and_symbols/map_symbols

> I feel the way OCAL archives data and you retrieve it is very
> confusing (a lot of directories).Very painful to access.

The directories are only intended for now as a stopgap measure -- an
alternative to throwing everything in One Big Directory, which would
clearly be worse.  Long-term, we want to use the metadata and tools
based on it for this stuff.