[Clipart] world maps

Jon Phillips jon at rejon.org
Thu Jan 27 23:28:09 PST 2005

Nicu Buculei wrote:
> Jose Hevia wrote:
>
>>   I started coding a GTK app ,now it's vaporware, to search the way
>> google does(using metadata,and why not? content,I think I put names to
>> countries,like France,Germany) ,for clip art,only a gtkcombo ,with a
>> list displaying the png thumbnails previously generated.
>>   You click a file and inkscape is loaded with it.
>> The idea it's to sort OCAL the way the user likes/needs,not the way
>> packers wanted it and add keywords from the app,in a simple manner
>> without using command line.The strong part is the searching algorithm
>> ,and I will spend my spare time with it, not with art.
>

> after reading about inclusion of an OCAL package in Debian i was
> thinking about how to persuade other distros to include it.
> i couldn't find many arguments for this, as i'm not sure our images have
> any practical use beside Inkscape, Scribus and Sodipodi, which are not
> in the base install of many distros.
> i believe such app could increase the usefulness of our collection and
> make it more appealing for distros.

I think once Bryce's work with DMS is connected with our current system, then we
could easily develop a system that can query DMS to find files on the fly,
therefore a distro would only need to include a tool like this so that one could
grab a thumbnail and the associated SVG to be loaded into their app of choice.

Maybe we should brainstorm more on what this kind of tool this would be? Jose,
do you have any screenshots of your tool, mockups, or code online?

jon at rejon.org
http://www.rejon.org

Inkscape (http://inkscape.org)
CVS Book (http://cvsbook.ucsd.edu)