[Clipart] Re: The PNG problem in Windows Internet Explorer

Jonadab the Unsightly One jonadab at bright.net
Sun Jan 30 11:41:50 PST 2005

Jon Phillips <jon at rejon.org> writes:

> Hahhaha...this is like historical laughs. I only think we should try
> to be accountable for our site working on IE 5.5 and greater,
> mozilla, firefox, safari on as many platforms as possible (majorly
> LINUX/PC/MAC). In the end we have to draw the line somewhere though,
> right?

I generally aim for the following:

 * Layed out as designed:
   All recent Gecko-based browsers, resolutions from 640x480 up.

 * Layout at least _looks_ like it was designed that way, all major
   features work if browser support makes that possible:
   Latest versions of IE (Win only, not Mac IE), Opera, Safari,
   Konqueror.

 * Layout looks okay, page looks okay, colors are mostly right,
   no glaring horrors:
   All recent versions of IE, Opera, Safari, Konqueror.
   (5.5+ is probably a good definition of "recent" for IE.)

 * All page text is legible, links work, site is minimally usable:
   Pre-Gecko Netscape browsers, old versions of IE, Lynx and so on,
   and pretty much any other browser that at least supports HTML 3.0