[Clipart] installing dms

Greg Steffensen greg.steffensen at gmail.com
Tue Jul 5 12:44:33 PDT 2005

Thanks, I'll have to keep playing with it. After the DMS install started
giving me hassles, I wrote my own based on Postgresql. It works (when you
add images, it parses the svg and records the relevent metadata for
searching). Bulk loading and dumping of images to/from the filesystem is
pretty simple. It uses an xml-rpc interface. I've attached a command-line
script I wrote to demonstrate the basic use (invoke it without args for
documentation), but you can explore the API more directly via xml-rpc at
http://141.166.232.109:8000 , and using the system.listMethods() and
system.methodHelp() functions (the script doesn't really accurately
represent the API anyway, it was just the easiest way to access it from the
command line).

The major probs with it right now are that you have to provide png previews
of the svg yourself (having the db generate them automatically is totally
doable, but I'm having issues with the command-line version of Inkscape...
apparently it has to be invoked by the user that owns the running x-server),
and I still need to provide the ability to alter metadata on the fly (so you
can specify additional keywords, or a description, etc. when you upload an
image). Beyond that, though, most other features are simple to add. Does
this seem usable?

Greg