[Clipart] installing dms

Jon Phillips jon at rejon.org
Fri Jul 8 23:53:49 PDT 2005

On Tue, 2005-07-05 at 15:44 -0400, Greg Steffensen wrote:
> Thanks, I'll have to keep playing with it.  After the DMS install
> started giving me hassles, I wrote my own based on Postgresql.  It
> works (when you add images, it parses the svg and records the relevent
> metadata for searching).  Bulk loading and dumping of images to/from
> the filesystem is pretty simple.  It uses an xml-rpc interface.  I've
> attached a command-line script I wrote to demonstrate the basic use
> (invoke it without args for documentation), but you can explore the
> API more directly via xml-rpc at http://141.166.232.109:8000 , and
> using the system.listMethods() and system.methodHelp() functions (the
> script doesn't really accurately represent the API anyway, it was just
> the easiest way to access it from the command line).

That server address isn't up anymore...I'm trying your script.

Interesting that you rapidly built a new implementation. That is good to
compare with DMS. I'm also interested in the ccmixter.org open source
creative commons endorsed engine:
http://virtualturntable.org/archives/000315.php

We might want to check this out. I have a feeling though they have not
thought about integrating versioning and some other concepts into this
engine, but I wonder if it is another compelling solution. When I met
with creativecommons in Jan. I pitched the idea of dms right when they
were about to launch ccmixter, but I think because it was still an idea,
they just kept plowing on ccmixter.

> The major probs with it right now are that you have to provide png
> previews of the svg yourself (having the db generate them
> automatically is totally doable, but I'm having issues with the
> command-line version of Inkscape... apparently it has to be invoked by
> the user that owns the running x-server), and I still need to provide
> the ability to alter metadata on the fly (so you can specify
> additional keywords, or a description, etc. when you upload an image).
> Beyond that, though, most other features are simple to add.  Does this
> seem usable?

Cool, so you are trying to send png data over the wires directly, and
convert the files from svg to png per query? Hmmm...I'm curious.

How are you progressing on this now? Also, have you had any luck with
DMS?

Jon