[Clipart] AMD64 and Gentoo

Jonadab the Unsightly One jonadab at bright.net
Tue Jul 5 21:25:22 PDT 2005

Open Clip Art Library Feedback Form <noreply at openclipart.org> writes:

> Greetings,
>
> What a great news to learn I can benefit of clip Arts in Linux
> too. I have Gentoo 64bit but do not see any package available for
> this platform.

Except for the Windows installer, our packages are not
platform-specific.  On Gentoo you should be able to use the .tar.bz2
or the .tar.gz or the .zip package.  For instance, try this series of
commands (as root)...

   mkdir /usr/share/clipart
   cd /usr/share/clipart
   wget http://openclipart.org/downloads/0.14/openclipart-0.14.tar.bz2
   tar -xjvf openclipart-0.14.tar.bz2

Actually, you might want to wait for the 0.15 release, which should
be available by this time tomorrow.  In that case...

   mkdir /usr/share/clipart
   cd /usr/share/clipart
   wget http://openclipart.org/downloads/0.15/openclipart-0.15.tar.bz2
   tar -xjvf openclipart-0.15.tar.bz2

That will install the clipart in /usr/share/clipart, but of course you
could put it someplace different if you prefer.

You will also probably want an SVG viewer/editor/renderer, such as
Inkscape or Sodipodi.  Most word processors and web browsers haven't
added SVG support yet, so for now you'll find yourself wanting PNG
versions of the images you use.  We include PNG thumbnails in the
release, but sometimes you may want a higher-resolution version.  With
an SVG editor/viewer like Inkscape or cetera, you can export any of
the images to a higher-resolution PNG when needed.  (SVG images are
vector drawings, so they can be rendered at any resolution.)  I
suspect that you can just type "emerge inkscape" or "emerge sodipodi"
and have a suitable SVG viewer/editor/renderer installed, although
it's been a few months since I last used Gentoo.

> Could you please advice me how to install and run your package?
> Perhaps openclipart-bin (with x86 emulation on Gentoo)?

We don't really have any binaries, mostly just a lot of images.
Download the package, unzip or untar it, and that's it, it's
installed.  There's nothing to compile.

The tools package has some Perl scripts (and I think one Python script
and maybe a bash script or two), but those should work on any POSIX
system, and certainly on any reasonably standard Linux system
(provided you install SVG::Metadata -- if you need instructions for
that, ask).  I'm pretty sure your Gentoo system already has Perl
installed, because portage relies on it.  Some of the tools are
sufficiently independent of architecture that they would probably run
on practically any operating system; others rely on *nix commands
(e.g., mv) and so probably will not work except on POSIX systems.  But
Gentoo shouldn't be a problem in that regard, and in any case the
tools are mainly geared toward managing the collection; you don't need
the tools if all you want to do is use clipart.