[Clipart] AMD64 and Gentoo

Gavin Panella gavin at premolo.net
Sat Jul 9 00:41:19 PDT 2005

Hi Jon,

I put a new ebuild up a few moments after the first announcement of
0.15.

One thing though - there has just appeared an ebuild in the main
Portage tree for 0.12, as x11-misc/openclipart. The main differences
are:

- That ebuild has several options (via use flags). You can choose what
what file-types to install, and to compress or not. My ebuild installs
the library as is, except for docs which are put into
/usr/share/doc/openclipart-xxx.

- My ebuild installs to /usr/share/clipart, and the one in the tree
installs to /usr/share/clipart/openclipart.

- My ebuild might incur the wrath of Portage devs because it does not
use the Portage-provided doins (etc.) methods for creating the image
directory. I don't check for permissions or ownership so there could be
problems. It would be easy to check.

- The ebuild in the tree is in x11-misc, which is, IMHO, wrong. I chose
media-gfx, but I may be wrong too :-)

- That ebuild is old.

Also, the ebuild in the tree will eventually have problems because it
generates a large list of files to install and passes it in one go to
doins. It might work now, but when the list gets longer (perhaps
already too long with more recent library releases) it will fail.

So, I'd be very grateful if you would push my ebuild through, but it
might be difficult seeing as there is already one in the tree. If
you're talking to the right people, perhaps ask which is better of the
above differences, and I'll merge the two ebuilds. Then we can submit
the resulting Frankenstein Monster, erm, beautiful offspring.

Cheerio, Gavin.

--
Premolo Sàrl, Luxembourg
http://www.premolo.com/