[Clipart] Che image is not public domain

Jonadab the Unsightly One jonadab at bright.net
Sat Jul 23 06:27:52 PDT 2005

Jon Phillips <jon at rejon.org> writes:

> I think that is wise. I also wonder about some other logos in the
> collection...also, there is an image of an iPod as an icon in the
> collection. I wonder if that is legit. Knowing Apple, it is not.

The iPod is a real physical three-dimensional object.  You're allowed
to make pictures of physical objects, without violating copyright.
For instance, if you buy an iPod and take a photograph of it, Apple
can't say anything much about that.  Similarly, you can draw an iPod,
and Apple has no copyright claim on that, either.

Now, if the image is taken from a picture that Apple released, that
would be a different thing.  If there were an iPod logo on their site,
for instance, and you copied that...  in that case you wouldn't just
be expressing an iPod, you'd be copying *their* expression of it.

--
Open Clip Art Library:  Drawing Together
http://www.openclipart.org/