[Clipart] Che image is not public domain

Paul Reinheimer paul.clipart at preinheimer.com
Sat Jul 23 09:38:31 PDT 2005

While this makes perfect logical sense, I'm not sure if this is actually
true in a legal sense.

There is a recent case of a sculpture being put up in a public park
somewhere in the US (I think it's seattle, nope chicago), and security physically
preventing patrons of the park from taking pictures of it, citing copyright
restrictions.
See story at BoingBoing: http://www.boingboing.net/2005/02/06/chicagos_public_scul.html

I also beleive that a particular individual or group owns the copyright
on the pattern of lights present on the Eiffel tower at night, and as such
you don't really own any rights to any pictures you take.
See Image Copyright: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eiffel_Tower

These are both extreme cases, but they show that there has been precident
of people creating physical objects, and enforcing their will on those
who would photograph them.

Since Apple undoubtedly enlisted the aid of an entire team of designers
while desigining the iPod, I wouldn't be entirely surprised if they
attempted the same thing, if they saw the image being used in a manner
they didn't approve of.

paul