[Clipart] Flags again

Jon Phillips jon at rejon.org
Mon Mar 7 15:34:56 PST 2005

Christian Fredrik Kalager Schaller wrote:
> Ok, think we have all flags online now. Thanks a lot!
>
> There are still some problems though. Most major one is that the
> metadata seems not to be shown in a lot of cases. Any idea why?
>
> There is also still some non-flag images in the flag collection hiarchy.
> I will provide a list of these so they can be moved away to more correct
> places. There are also a few flags elsewhere in the collection which
> should/could be removed.

I'll let Jonadab answer the previous questions...

> Btw, what are our policy for general image quality? I mean most of the
> clipart in the collection is very nice, but we do also have some really
> crappy stuff.

Well, this is another area we need to work on. Currently we allow
everything in, but the goal is to offer peer review on the website as
another form of metadata. And thus, when creating the collection we would
set the user feedback threshold level and not allow in images with low
feedback into the main package. However, these images would stay in the
repository, but the low marks would hopefully:

a. encourage revision
b. encourage feedback on how to make that image better
c. encourage other artists to create/revise/recreate *poor* images

We haven't discussed the best way to do this yet, but I'm sure we could
come up with some good ways. I think on a simple level we could have a
scale from 1 to 10 (the best), and then allow registered uers of the site
to vote on an image once. Also, we should allow comments on an image so
that the artist receives feedback.

By thresholding based upon user feedback, I think we have the best solution
because we remove the individual subjectivity of what is good/bad art, and
focus on collective authorship and encouragement of authors.

Does anyone else have any other approaches for this problem? Obviously, we
could implement some rating system now based upon IP, but that is
problematic. We really need our user management system and DMS running (or
the like) to build this type of system. Anyhow, this is a little ways off
(unless someone wants to hook me up with a grant for month of
living/working on this ;)

jon at rejon.org
http://www.rejon.org

Inkscape (http://inkscape.org)