[Clipart] Flags again

Jonadab the Unsightly One jonadab at bright.net
Fri Mar 11 08:44:46 PST 2005

Jon Phillips <jon at rejon.org> writes:

> Well, this is another area we need to work on. Currently we allow
> everything in, but the goal is to offer peer review on the website
> as another form of metadata. And thus, when creating the collection
> we would set the user feedback threshold level and not allow in
> images with low feedback into the main package. However, these
> images would stay in the repository, but the low marks would
> hopefully:
>
> a. encourage revision
> b. encourage feedback on how to make that image better
> c. encourage other artists to create/revise/recreate *poor* images

I agree with that.

> We haven't discussed the best way to do this yet,

We will eventually...  but it may be too soon just yet to fret about
those details.

> but I'm sure we could come up with some good ways. I think on a
> simple level we could have a scale from 1 to 10 (the best), and then
> allow registered uers of the site to vote on an image once. Also, we
> should allow comments on an image so that the artist receives
> feedback.

These are the same lines I was thinking along.

> Obviously, we could implement some rating system now based upon IP,
> but that is problematic. We really need our user management system
> and DMS running (or the like) to build this type of system.

I concur.

I suspect any detailed discussion we have now about the implementation
of this stuff will get lost in the mists of time before we are ready
to actually implement a feedback system.  We'll have to discuss it
again in any case once we're closer to being ready to implement it
(i.e., once we have user login in place, and a repository architecture
in place for storing the feedback and comments and stuff).

> Anyhow, this is a little ways off (unless someone wants to hook me
> up with a grant for month of living/working on this ;)

I don't think I can squeeze that into my budget.  IIRC you live in
Southern California, so your monthly living expenses are probably a
good deal more than my monthly income.  (I live in small-town Ohio,
and the cost of living is rather lower here.)