[Clipart] Re: [Inkscape-devel] Open Clip Art Library Release 0.11 Announcement

Alan Horkan horkana at maths.tcd.ie
Tue Mar 8 09:39:37 PST 2005

On Mon, 7 Mar 2005, Jon Phillips wrote:

> Date: Mon, 07 Mar 2005 16:20:24 -0800
> From: Jon Phillips <jon at rejon.org>
> To: OCAL list <clipart at lists.freedesktop.org>,
>      "inkscape-user at lists.sf.net" <inkscape-user at lists.sourceforge.net>,
>      "inkscape-devel at lists.sf.net" <inkscape-devel at lists.sf.net>,
>      svg-developers at yahoo.com, cairo at cairographics.org,
>      gnome-announce-list at gnome.org, scribus at nashi.altmuehlnet.de,
>      nettime-ann <nettime-ann at nettime.org>,
>      "sodipodi-list at lists.sourceforge.net"
>     <sodipodi-list at lists.sourceforge.net>,
>      "freedesktop at freedesktop.org" <freedesktop at freedesktop.org>,
>      dorkbotsocal-blabber <dorkbotsocal-blabber at dorkbot.org>
> Subject: [Inkscape-devel] Open Clip Art Library Release 0.11 Announcement
>
> Open Clip Art Library Release 0.11 Announcement
>
> March 8, 2005 UTC - Release 0.11 of the Open Clip Art Library
> (www.openclipart.org) is now available for download on-line as an
> individual package consisting of 2896 images submitted by over 200
> artists from around the world. Some of the new clip art received this
> month includes more images of food, computer-related items and even a
> little boombox. In addition to the collected 0.11 package, each clip art
> file can now be found by keywords using developer Jonadab's new Keyword
> Search Tool.
>
> The Open Clip Art Library is growing rapidly because of increasing
> submissions from artists. Currently, the top five artists in terms of
> the amount of clip art submitted are: Danny Allen (951 images), Nicu
> Buculei (456), Jose Hevia (453), Andy Fitzsimon (250), and Alan Horkan
> (119). These Artist's and others contributions are the life blood of the

That sounds like only my gradients.  I also submitted a set of about 50
SVG Patterns but I didn't/dont really have the time to follow up on them
(or the adequate scripting knowledge to efficiently make the necessary
changes).  I appreciate the mention but I had the advantage of getting
there first, a lot of my designs seemed pretty obvious or were based off
of existing designs only redone from scratch in SVG.

Also in hindsight* the gradients really should be modified so that a
thumbnail preview can be easily generated for them (this is of
particularly concern to users of the GNU Image Manipulation Program).

*I had hoped to keep my shapes compatible with a particulary application
but the metadata already breaks compatibility.

> The Open Clip Art Library (http://www.openclipart.org/) aims to create
> an archive of clip art that can be used freely for any use. All graphics
> submitted to the project are placed into the Public Domain according to
> the Creative Commons Public Domain Declaration.

Thanks for keeping things going, glad to see the site is back up and
running.

Sincerely

Alan Horkan

Inkscape, Draw Freely  http://inkscape.org