[Clipart] Re: [Inkscape-devel] Open Clip Art Library Release 0.11 Announcement

Nathan Eady eady at galion.lib.oh.us
Tue Mar 8 10:04:07 PST 2005

Alan Horkan wrote:

> That sounds like only my gradients.  I also submitted a set of about 50
> SVG Patterns but I didn't/dont really have the time to follow up on them
> (or the adequate scripting knowledge to efficiently make the necessary
> changes).

When I first joined the list, I vaguely remember something being said
about some patterns, but at the time I didn't know enough about the
project to really assimilate what was said in any kind of context, so
I no longer recall the details.

Hmmm...  Don't we have archives?  Aha, here:
http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/clipart/2004-August/001073.html

Those patterns?

> Also in hindsight* the gradients really should be modified so that a
> thumbnail preview can be easily generated for them (this is of
> particularly concern to users of the GNU Image Manipulation Program).

Yes, I think this had been done at one point, and used to generate
thumbnails, but somehow the results didn't get put back into the
release tarball at the time and so, when the next release was based
on the previous release tarball, it was missing this change.

I don't recall now who did the change, but it seems like it was a batch
operation?  Or was it done by hand?  If we do it again, the versions
with the thumbnail (just a rectangle filled with the gradient, probably)
should be zipped/tarred up and put in incoming, so they can be dropped
in to replace the existing ones in the next release -- does that make
sense?

Also, there are a number of images that don't make good thumbnails,
due to the document size or somesuch not being a good match for the
actual content, scalewise, resulting in a lot of white area.  It would
be nice if there were a tool for automatically fixing that, but I
don't know enough SVG to have any real idea how feasible that is.