[Clipart] 3000+ SVG files available

Jon Phillips jon at rejon.org
Tue Mar 15 14:30:27 PST 2005

On Tue, 2005-03-15 at 22:09 +0100, Raymond Penners wrote:
> On Thu, 3 Mar 2005 12:50:14 +0100, Raymond Penners <dotsphinx at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Anyway, this is just speculation though. I sent him an email, and
> > hopefully the answer clarifies things.
>
> Just in case anybody is wondering what ever happened to the kamsart.com clipart:
>
> I never got a reply from the site owner. Basically this means that the
> 3000+ clipart cannot be used for OCAL. It remains unclear how kamsart
> can pose the "cannot sell or give" restriction on supposedly public
> domain clipart, yet there is nothing we can do about it.

Bummer, maybe you will get a email some day. There is a good chance that
these images are available elsewhere. Many people are confused about
what is and is not clip art.

> Btw, in this thread a remark was made that there is quite a lot of PD
> clipart out there that has not been harvested for OCAL yet. I would be
> interested in those -- does anybody have a list of (real) online PD
> clipart collections?

I started a list here:

http://openclipart.org/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?SimilarProjects

But, I know there are so many more. I also think it would be possible to
find those cdroms like 30,000 clip art or whatever and if they say they
are public domain, its free for the taking.

Really, I think the best procedure would be to develop some form of
script or spider that seeks out public domain clip art. It might even be
useful to develop a specific script so that once you find a site that
has PD, to do a harvest of the whole site and directly import it to OCAL
-- of course, trying to follow good netiquette ;)

jon at rejon.org
http://www.rejon.org

Inkscape (http://inkscape.org)
CVS Book (http://cvsbook.ucsd.edu)