[Clipart] Document::Manager 0.12

Bryce Harrington bryce at bryceharrington.com
Tue May 17 11:23:56 PDT 2005

Well, it's got its core functionality now, but I think more features are
needed before it can be called 'useful'.  I.e., you can check stuff in,
do document listings, and keep track/update state of items.  Here are
the features I plan to add in order to achieve 'useful':

   * Keyword manipulation.  Basic keyword add/remove is implemented but
     not tested.  In addition I plan to add scripts to do:
      + Global replace/delete of a given keyword
      + Keyword search (any-of, all-of, none-of)

   * Tarball generation - I want to be able to provide the same
     functionality our current release scripts have, as a minimum.

   * Per-document commenting - Just a really basic mechanism to append
     to a log of comments on a given image, to give us some
     proto-tracking capabilities.

   * Querying.  I want to extend ls_docs to allow more powerful
     searching of the repository, so folks can create canned scripts to
     do things like, list all svg's for a given artist, list the most
     recent svg's, etc.

   * Optimization.  I have found that dms works ok with <100 items in
     it, but it isn't scaling well.  I did a test of inserting all of
     April's library, and while I was able to easily submit all the
     docs, doing operations with that many items was unacceptably slow.

The above are all commandline oriented functionality.  Another important
thing I intend to begin working on in the near term is a CGI interface.
I've done some preliminary experimentation with Perl's CGI::Builder
module and think I can come up with a good system using it.

Anyway, all of the above are near-term features I plan to have in place
hopefully within a few weeks.  In most cases I've already written the
code, it just needs to be debugged and polished.  I can give details if
anyone is interested in hacking around with it.

Also, in theory the server's SOAP API should be language-independent.  I
tested out the PHP-Perl interoperability but found it sucked.  However,
it's possible that it might work better with Python or other languages.
If anyone is interested in testing out their favorite scripting
language, let me know and I can help you set up a copy of the server to
play with.

Bryce