[Clipart] 404 not found links from the main page

Nicu Buculei nicu at apsro.com
Tue Nov 8 22:36:41 PST 2005

Nathan Eady wrote:
> Nicu Buculei wrote:
>
>>>webmaster at openclipart.org does not exist.
>>
>>Right, the webmaster is one of the standard addresses defined by RFC
>>2142, but our site is hosted at freedesktop.org and we don't have an
>>mail server at all. I don't know what is the standard procedure in such
>>cases.
>

> It should be handled the same way as the other required addresses,
> notably postmaster at openclipart.org, hostmaster at openclipart.org,
> and so on and so forth.  It really isn't acceptable to have a
> domain in active use (as opposed to just parked) that does not
> have these addresses working and read by a human.

A quote from rfc 2142:
"for example, [RFC822 6.3, C.6] requires the presence of a
<POSTMASTER at domain> mailbox name on all hosts that have an SMTP server"
But we don't have an SMTP server, this is why I am unsure.

> The ideal situation would probably be if the webmaster address
> either simply posted the mail to the list, or perhaps collected it
> in batches and posted a digest once a day.  It's not strictly
> necessary to have the ideal setup, though; as long as the mail is
> somehow getting to a human, we'll be RFC compliant, even if the
> person in question isn't directly associated with the OCAL; e.g.,
> if our MX points to a mail server that simply treats mail to our
> domain the same as mail to other domains it handles, then mail would
> go to the corresponding addresses for the mail hosting provider; this
> is still RFC compliant, assuming they look at the mail.

 From my experience, those standard addresses are guaranteed spam
targets, so is not wise to connect them directly with the lists and if
used some kind of moderation would be needed.

--
nicu