[Clipart] 404 not found links from the main page

Jonadab the Unsightly One jonadab at bright.net
Fri Nov 18 08:14:43 PST 2005

Nicu Buculei <nicu at apsro.com> writes:

> Nathan Eady wrote:

> >>Right, the webmaster is one of the standard addresses defined by RFC
> >>2142, but our site is hosted at freedesktop.org and we don't have an
> >>mail server at all. I don't know what is the standard procedure in such
> >>cases.
> > It should be handled the same way as the other required addresses,
> > notably postmaster at openclipart.org, hostmaster at openclipart.org,
> > and so on and so forth.  It really isn't acceptable to have a
> > domain in active use (as opposed to just parked) that does not
> > have these addresses working and read by a human.
>
> A quote from rfc 2142:
> "for example, [RFC822 6.3, C.6] requires the presence of a
> <POSTMASTER at domain> mailbox name on all hosts that have an SMTP server"
> But we don't have an SMTP server, this is why I am unsure.

We don't have our *own* SMTP server, but our site/domain definitely
does have an SMTP server:

; <<>> DiG 9.3.1 <<>> -t MX openclipart.org
;; global options:  printcmd
;; Got answer:
;; flags: qr rd ra; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 1, AUTHORITY: 2, ADDITIONAL: 1

;; QUESTION SECTION:
;openclipart.org.               IN      MX

;; ANSWER SECTION:
openclipart.org.        7200    IN      MX      10 gabe.freedesktop.org.

;; AUTHORITY SECTION:
openclipart.org.        86400   IN      NS      ns.spaces.org.
openclipart.org.        86400   IN      NS      x2.cs.pdx.edu.

;; ADDITIONAL SECTION:
gabe.freedesktop.org.   268     IN      A       131.252.208.82

;; Query time: 237 msec
;; SERVER: 209.143.0.10#53(209.143.0.10)
;; WHEN: Fri Nov 18 11:05:48 2005
;; MSG SIZE  rcvd: 133

Therefore, we are required to have a postmaster address.

However, it doesn't have to be our *own* postmaster address.  That is,
if mail sent to postmaster at openclipart.org ends up in the same inbox
as mail to postmaster at freedesktop.org that is perfectly RFC-compliant,
provided mail sent to that address is read by a human.

>  From my experience, those standard addresses are guaranteed spam
> targets, so is not wise to connect them directly with the lists

Yes, that's true.

--
Open Clip Art Library:  Drawing Together
http://www.openclipart.org/