[Clipart] clipartbrowser 0.41

Bryce Harrington bryce at bryceharrington.org
Sat Oct 1 22:34:05 PDT 2005

On Mon, Sep 19, 2005 at 05:20:27AM -0400, Greg Steffensen wrote:
> I'm releasing another version of the clip art browser. Lots of bug fixes,
> some performance improvements, code cleanups, and a new installation
> procedure (yes, yet another).
>
> Installation is now 3 steps, and hopefully easier than ever:
>
> 1) Satisfy the dependencies of Python 2.4 and PyGTK 2.6.
>
> 2) Download and run the following script, which installs the python
> setuptools:
>
> http://peak.telecommunity.com/dist/ez_setup.py
>
> 3) Run "easy_install clipartbrowser"
>
> As you can see, I've switched the installation system from Makefiles to the
> python setuptools. The setuptools are still under development (they're
> apparently going to be included in python 2.5), and I'm still very much
> learning how to use them, so the packaging isn't as polished as it needs to
> be, but this makes installation a breeze. Eventually, it should allow
> arbitrary python dependencies to be intelligently installed as well using
> the same process.
>
> I'm still working on getting this integrated back into the Inkscape effects
> menu, that's next on the list. As always, feedback greatly appreciated.

Hi Greg,

I get the following error when trying to do this:

blackwold tmp # python ez_setup.py
Downloading http://cheeseshop.python.org/packages/2.3/s/setuptools/setuptools-0.6a5-py2.3.egg
Processing setuptools-0.6a5-py2.3.egg
creating /usr/lib/python2.3/site-packages/setuptools-0.6a5-py2.3.egg
Extracting setuptools-0.6a5-py2.3.egg to /usr/lib/python2.3/site-packages
Adding setuptools 0.6a5 to easy-install.pth file
Installing easy_install script to /usr/bin

Installed /usr/lib/python2.3/site-packages/setuptools-0.6a5-py2.3.egg
Processing dependencies for setuptools==0.6a5
Setuptools version 0.6a5 or greater has been installed.
(Run "ez_setup.py -U setuptools" to reinstall or upgrade.)
blackwold tmp # easy_install clipartbrowser
Searching for clipartbrowser
Reading http://www.python.org/pypi/clipartbrowser/
Best match: clipartbrowser 0.41
Downloading http://cheeseshop.python.org/packages/source/c/clipartbrowser/clipartbrowser-0.41.tar.gz#md5=1723206047b857683a12229dcd713330
Processing clipartbrowser-0.41.tar.gz
Running clipartbrowser-0.41/setup.py -q bdist_egg --dist-dir /tmp/easy_install-ksy6VC/clipartbrowser-0.41/egg-dist-tmp-AMViVY
  File "build/bdist.linux-i686/egg/ClipartBrowser/browser.py", line 103
    @staticmethod
    ^
SyntaxError: invalid syntax
Adding clipartbrowser 0.41 to easy-install.pth file
Installing clipartbrowser script to /usr/bin

Installed /usr/lib/python2.3/site-packages/clipartbrowser-0.41-py2.3.egg
Processing dependencies for clipartbrowser