[Clipart] Using Clip Art

Nicu Buculei nicu at apsro.com
Sun Oct 2 23:05:05 PDT 2005

Jonadab the Unsightly One wrote:
> As for Corel, last I knew, that was the name of a software company in
> the 80s that got bought out sometime in the 90s and no longer exists,
> so when you say "a program like Corel", I'm not sure I know exactly
> what you're talking about.  Corel used to make a program called Draw,
> which ran on DOS, but that was aeons ago and I was under the
> impression Adobe pretty much ate their lunch with Photoshop during the
> pre-Windows era; I haven't heard anything significant about Corel Draw
> for over a decade.  Did whoever bought them out revive the Draw
> product and continue to update it?  Does it support vector graphics?
> I must profess ignorance here.

Corel was pretty much slaughtered on the market by Adobe but still
continue to exist and make software. They were not bought by anybody,
but bought themselves other products (like the popular PaintShopPro).
The current version of Corel Draw can import and export SVG.

Some years ago they were very near to bankruptcy, but an investment from
Microsoft saved them (as a coincidence, shortly they dropped all the
undergoing Linux efforts: the distro, the office suite port and the
graphic apps port)

--
nicu