[Clipart] Who can do the 0.18 release?

Bryce Harrington bryce at bryceharrington.org
Mon Oct 3 00:13:01 PDT 2005

On Mon, Oct 03, 2005 at 08:39:41AM +0300, Nicu Buculei wrote:
> Bryce Harrington wrote:
> >Well, here's how I think it could be shoehorned in:
> >
> >The release process essentially begins by downloading the previous
> >release's tarball package and going from there.  It would be easy to
> >modify the release process such that instead of starting from that
> >package, it starts from a collection that has been modified since the
> >prior release.  Namely, a "keyword-edited" collection.
>
> If I understand correctly, this collection would be the development
> trunk and the releases branches from it.

Yes, that's the way to think about it.

> >At the other end of the release process, we could easily include a step
> >that installs this collection for keyword-editing after publishing the
> >final release package.
> >
> >Thus, this simplifies the task down to how to perform keyword-editing on
> >this installed package.
> >
> >Your keyword-authority script is able to perform keyword editing on a
> >collection of images.  I think this would be the thing to start with.
> >This would need to be installed on openclipart.org, but I don't think
> >that would be too hard to do.
> >
> >Initially, we could simply have people shell into openclipart.org, cd to
> >that directory, and perform the commands to edit the keywords.
>
> Are those scripts documented somewhere? A page on the wiki?

I learned about the scripts and what they were for from the
ReleaseProcedure page.  They are also packaged up in a tarball that
includes a README with additional details.  And all the scripts had
pretty good usage directions if you ran them with a -? option or
similar.

> >All of the above would be very minor modifications to our existing
> >processes, and hopefully straightforward to set up.
> >
> >A further refinement would be to create a php script to put a nice web
> >interface on top of the keyword authority script.  This tool would
> >basically just act as a front end to allow easier operation of the
> >authority script.  It needn't be very sophisticated.  Maybe it could
> >look like this:
>
> A web interface would be very nice to have, but before using it I think
> we need at least revision control or a login requirement for using the page.

The absolute simplest would be to have a cronjob do a backup once a day,
and set up basic auth via an .htaccess file.  Of course, something more
sophisticated would be better, but that'd at least be enough to take
care of 80% of the need.