[Clipart] Re: ANN: SVG_RenderTest 0.2

Bryce Harrington bryce at bryceharrington.org
Wed Oct 26 12:22:40 PDT 2005

SVG_RenderTest 0.2 can be gotten here:

    https://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=93438&package_id=157539

This test compares rendering capabilities of several SVG renderers.
It also generates visual "diffs" between the output of the renderers,
and assigns a score for how close they match a 'truth' image (such as
generated by batik).

ChangeLog for Version 0.2:
        * Implemented use of inkscape's height/width query capability to
          determine image's aspect ratio
        * Added -h HEIGHT flags for all renderers
        * Added ksvgtopng
        * Conversion of svgfile to absolute path (for ksvgtopng)
        * Added command line parameter for location of input files
        * Added check to ensure mdiffer exists; if not, give pkg name
          and url
        * Added a usage() function

The two main changes for this release are adding KDE's ksvgtopng
renderer, and adding support for specifying both height and width
output.  It had been noticed in version 0.1 that each renderer makes
different assumptions about what height to use if only the width was
specified; in version 0.2 we use Inkscape's --query-width and
--query-height, determine the image's aspect ratio, calculate height
given a width, and then specify -h and -w options to all renderers.

>From some initial test runs, it looks like this improves the situation
considerably but doesn't fix 100% of all situations.  I'm still seeing
some offsets and aspect ratio problems for certain files; not sure if
this is due to inkscape's aspect ratio calculations or differences in
assumptions between renderers, but I expect to be doing more tinkering.

Anyway, despite being far from perfect, the motivation for this release
was to get these changes out there.  I'm hoping to sync up with the work
Uraeus is doing, and set up something that can automatically run the
test.

Bryce