[Clipart] Repetition and voting

Jon Phillips jon at rejon.org
Mon Oct 31 07:11:23 PST 2005

On Mon, 2005-10-17 at 14:51 -0700, Dan Gerhards wrote:
> On Monday 17 October 2005 1:03 pm, Nathan Eady wrote:
> > Nicu Buculei (OCAL) wrote:
> > About periodically purging the lowest-voted images, I believe we are
> > *against* this, but *for* providing providing a selection of most-voted.

Yes. The selection would be one search through the submitted images that
might constitute our published monthly collection.

> This is a good philosophy, but I don't think it will work very well. It would
> take ages to get a meaningful number of votes for most of the images. Also,
> *someone* will find almost every image useful.

I disagree. I think that providing a rating mechanism will encourage a
new caste of users that would help qualify images.

> Poor quality doesn't seem to be a real problem anyway. However, *repetition*
> is a problem. Four or five variations on an image is fine, but we have much
> more than that in a few cases. The most blatant is shapes/stars, but there
> are others.

Right, we need to sort this out.

> In regard to the stars: 1,376? They were obviously created with a script, and
> should be removed. Does anyone disagree?

I agree they should be removed except for the original. Generally
though, for precedent sake, color changes I think are okay for
submitting of a clip art, specifically in the area of images that have a
color and black and white counterpart.

San Francisco, CA
USA PH 510.499.0894
jon at rejon.org