[Clipart] Namespace as part of validation

Stephen Silver ocalocal at btinternet.com
Thu Sep 15 13:47:48 PDT 2005

Ted Gould wrote:

> For those who don't read my blog (who are you? ;) you might not know
> that I've been in a discussion with the Mozilla folks about the SVG
> support in Firefox 1.5.  It turns out that some SVG files in OCAL will
> not render in Firefox.  While I disagree with the reason, I think that
> OCAL should also fix it this side also.
>
> The reason is that Firefox will not render SVG files without the svg
> namespace being declared.  It makes sense that OCAL could add this as
> part of the validation of incoming files.
>
> What do people think?  Should all OCAL files have the namespace
> declared?

Yes, they should.  Failing to declare the namespace can cause problems
in various situations.

The declaration could be added when the metadata is added to the file.
We would still need to fix the files already in the collection that have
this problem.  Using my SVGscan script, a list of SVG files that don't
internally declare the namespace can be obtained like this:

  python svgscan.py -none -warn=no_namespace .

There are 237 in release 0.17, not counting the 1375 star_*step.svg
files.

--
Stephen Silver