[Clipart] Namespace as part of validation

Stephen Silver ocalocal at btinternet.com
Thu Sep 15 16:26:36 PDT 2005

Greg Steffensen wrote:

> I ran into this problem when parsing clipart with libxml2. Would it
> be simpler just to say that images must be valid xml? I believe that
> would cover this issue.

No, it wouldn't.  For example, the following SVG file is valid XML,
but still has the problem that Ted Gould is talking about (because
the namespace is declared only in the external DTD, which is no good
for most non-validating XML parsers, including Mozilla's):

<?xml version="1.0"?>
<!DOCTYPE svg PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD SVG 1.0//EN"
 "http://www.w3.org/TR/2001/REC-SVG-20010904/DTD/svg10.dtd">
<svg/>

I don't think any of the SVG files in the OCAL collection are valid
XML, and we shouldn't expect them to be (because of the RDF).

Validity with respect to a custom RELAX NG schema would be a more
useful test for OCAL, but someone has to write this schema first
(and we need to decide what the schema should allow/disallow).

--
Stephen Silver