[Clipart] Namespace as part of validation

Nicu Buculei (OCAL) nicu at apsro.com
Thu Sep 15 23:20:11 PDT 2005

Greg Steffensen wrote:
> I ran into this problem when parsing clipart with libxml2.  Would it be
> simpler just to say that images must be valid xml?  I believe that would
> cover this issue.  There's a tradeoff, of course, in that you create a
> new obstacle to contribution, but considering how much we try to process
> the images programmatically, I think this is a relatively minor hurdle.

I don't think this would be a good idea: from the beginning, one of the
main objective of the project was to keep the barrier to contribute as
low as possible and we believe this was one of the key elements of our
success so far.
This is why I thin adding the namespace declaration at upload time or as
part of the release process (if not present) is a better solution
compared with rejecting the images lacking it.

--
nicu