[Clipart] Inclusion of copyrighted logo in your library

Jarno jarno at huittinen.com
Wed Sep 21 11:10:51 PDT 2005

> On Wed, Sep 21, 2005 at 07:56:58PM +0300, Jarno wrote:
>> > This is the problem of public domain, Larry Ewing or anyone is never
>> > going to make public domain their logos to prevent abuses like the
>> > blender one. But if I need a Inkscape or Blender vector icon, I want
>> > to be able of making it only one time. (GPL for logos?)
>>
>> This is still same thing ... copyright holder must do it. And GPL
>> lisences
>> doesn't do better ... there is still away to abuse the artwork.
>
> Careful, this is mixing up the difference between trademark and
> copyright.

I'm not mixing them up ... my answer was for question of GPL for logo
issue ... GPL license doesn't provied any protection for copyright nor
trademark.

... tux isn't trademarked and all logos aren't trademarked. But some
countrys (like Finland) you can claim rights (like trademark have) to your
brand or slogan even if you don't have trademarked it... you're brand or
slogan just have to be well known. In this case tux is well known.

-Jarno-