[Clipart] Auto clip art catalog?

Jon Phillips jon at rejon.org
Thu Dec 14 15:21:47 PST 2006

On Thu, 2006-12-14 at 22:16 +0100, Thomas Zastrow wrote:
> Jon Phillips schrieb:
> > sure, it would be great to get it nice and then we can put it as part of
> > the projects tools package...what would be good is to find a way of
> > rebuilding the output daily, but not redoing work each time the script
> > is run...also, multiple forms of output would be ideal...
> >
> > great!
> >
> > jon
> >
> Jon,
>
> I'm willing to spend some time on that script :-)
>
> What it does at the moment:
>
> 1.)
> It scans the OpenClipart-directory [of a stable release] for *png-files.
> Not SVG-files (it's a admission to half-actual browsers which are not
> able to display SVG-files directly).
>
> 2.)
>  From these PNG-files, it produces HTML-files.
>
> 3.)
> With the html2ps-Script (http://user.it.uu.se/~jan/html2ps.html), it
> builds PostScript-Files.
>
> 4.)
> The postScript-Files can be converted to PDF with ps2pdf.
>
> What to do:
>
> a)
> Is there a solution to convert SVG-files *on-the-fly* on the
> command-line to PNG?

Inkscape is what we have traditionally used. That is a good way to
insure high quality images (as many are made with inkscape).

> b)
> A functionality which checks a directory for changes and then runs the
> script just for these changes.
>
> Just some thoughts ;-)

Yes, this is curious...basically need to check the modification time on
an svg and compare that with the generated thumbnail...one way would be
when generating the new thumbnails/output images, to just set those
output thumbnails to the modtime of the original image...then, it would
be trivial to compare the mod time of the original to the thumbnail,
cool? Great!

Jon

> Best,
>
> Tom